My Guide Website?
Split: Diocletian's Palace Walking Tour395 Reviews
Explore more than 1,700 years of history on a walking tour of Diocletian's Palace in the historical old town of Split. Learn the history of the former residence of the Roman emperor and marvel at the Baroque monuments of the city center.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Croatia:If youʻre booking your trip to Croatia last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Discover the remains of Diocletian's Palace in the old town of Split
- Learn more about the cultural history of the city
- Marvel at the monumental Peristyle courtyard
- See the Cathedral of Saint Domnius on the site of the old mausoleum
DescriptionDiscover the remains of Diocletian's Palace, built for the Roman Emperor Diocletian at the turn of the 4th century AD. Now part of the old town of Split, the imperial palace was built in preparation for the emperor's retirement in 305 AD. Visit different areas of the complex, such as the cellars and monumental Peristyle courtyard. Look at the emperor's private observatory and see the Cathedral of Saint Domnius, originally built as Diocletian's Mausoleum. Discover the site of the Temple of Jupiter and Baptistery, and the original Bronze Gate, Silver Gate, Golden Gate and Iron Gate that provided access to the city. Discover a refuge for the noblewomen of Split at the Benedictine Monastery of St. Arnir, admire the original 15th-century Town Hall and marvel at the Baroque monuments of Fruit Square (Voćni trg).
IncludesEnglish-speaking local guide
- Wear long sleeves on windy days
- Sunglasses and a hat are recommended on sunny days
- You must be able to walk over uneven and cobblestone surfaces with 15 - 30 steps to take part
- Do not bring valuable items, such as important documents or jewelry