My Guide Website?
Split's Old Town and Marjan Hill: A Self-Guided Audio Tour3 Reviews
Visit the historic town center and enjoy the view from Marjan hill with this self-guided walking tour. Experience the magic of GPS-playback on this immersive stroll through Split.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Croatia:If youʻre booking your trip to Croatia last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Find out what the area was like under Venetian, French & Austrian-Hungarian rule
- Hear from the producer, Sanja Jukić a local tour guide and teacher
- Do it all in an hour or linger at stops along the way
- Get unlimited use before your booking date and after it
- Use the virtual tour option at home
DescriptionDiscover the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Split’s Old Town and the neighboring green oasis of Marjan Hill on this walking tour. Starting in front of the bronze Model of the historical core of the city of Split, I'll share the Roman and medieval Old Town’s history. I’ll guide you through Diocletian's Palace and picturesque squares including Pjaca, Fruit and Prokurative, before taking you along Split Riva and Promenada. Along the way, you’ll find out what the area was like under Venetian, French, Austrian-Hungarian and Yugoslavian rule. After visiting the hustle and bustle of Split’s Old Town center, I’ll show you the lovely Marjan hill where you can enjoy sweeping vistas across the city. Marjan Hill was a sacred place for the locals, once filled with ancient temples that were replaced by the Christian churches that are still scattered around the forested area today. Along the way, you’ll have a chance to: • Take in Diocletian's Palace, the grand palatial home of the Roman Emperor Diocletian in the 4th century • See the basement level of the Palace with its substructures and learn about the very unusual reason why they are so well preserved • Sit and relax on Peristil Square with views of the Mausoleum, St. Domnius's Cathedral and Jupiter's Temple, and hear about the rituals that used to take place there • Pass through the Golden Gate and follow the local tradition for good luck • Learn about the former Jewish ghetto and the synagogue still in use in the area • Explore Varoš, a charming 17th to 19th-century former fishermen's neighborhood while you climb the steps to the old Jewish cemetery and Marjan hill By the end of this one hour tour, you’ll have a better understanding of the rich history, local lifestyle and peculiar details that make Split so unique. You’ll also get recommendations on what to do and see after the tour.
IncludesLifetime access to this tour in English VoiceMap App for Android and iOS Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- The tour uses a mobile app. You will need to download the app and then use the voucher code provided to download the tour It is a self-guided audio tour that you can start, pause, or restart at any time and complete at your own pace You can download the tour at any time, before or after your booking date. It is best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point When the download is complete, you will see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point The tour follows a set route and includes turn-by-turn directions. It works best if you start it in the right place and follow the directions from one location to the next Please note that you'll need to use your own mobile device and headphones for this tour. The tour is only available in English, French and Italian.